Many people have a question- can dogs have applesauce? Let’s find out the answer.
Yes, Absolutely dogs can have Applesauce and in fact, it is a perfectly safe and tasty treat for dogs. Apple is packed with antioxidants, dietary fibre, vitamin A, vitamin K, Phosphorus, etc. which supports their growing bodies. Just keep in mind to give in small amount as a treat and not as a meal. The applesauce should constitute no more than 5% of your dog’s daily diet.
Most brands are filled with extra sugar, artificial flavours, colours, and toxic preservatives that could be harmful to our furbabies. So it’s better to look for an organic sugar-free version or prepare it at home.
Can puppies eat applesauce?
Puppies can eat applesauce. But they need supervision, especially if they haven’t had applesauce before. Observe if it causes him any digestive problems. If not, applesauce can make a good treat for your puppy.
Health Benefits of having An Apple
- Apples are a great source of dietary fibre which supports in regular digestion. It helps in preventing disease like diarrhoea and constipation.
- Apples work best as a nutritional supplement for dogs who need to lose weight as they are low in fat and calories.
- Applesauce is rich in calcium which is an essential nutrient for healthy nones, nails and teeth.
- They are a good source of Vitamin C and phosphorus, which works with calcium and helps in keeping bones healthy and strong, particularly in developing puppies.
- Apples are rich in Vitamin A, which boosts the immune system and improve skin and coat health.
- Applesauce contains pectin, which helps in lowering down bad cholesterol levels.
- They are rich in antioxidants which supports eye, bone, immune, and skin health in dogs.
- The biggest advantage of applesauce is that it can be used as an ingredient for feeding. For example, we can give applesauce by mixing it with yogurt or peanut butter to our dogs.
Also check:- Top 18 Healthiest Human Food For Dogs
Can dogs eat applesauce for diarrhea?
When your furbaby is suffering from diarrhea, it is advisable to follow BRAT diet – bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast along with the chicken soup.
You might think that eating while suffering from diarrhea will make things worse. But it’s not true. It depends on the food choices that you pick to feed your dogs. Applesauce contains a higher level of pectin. Pectin adds bulk to the stool and makes it firmer, which is why recommended as an excellent choice to have in case of diarrhea.
How to Administer Applesauce
Okay, this is not the end of this as you need to make sure that your dog is fine after consuming applesauce.
Always use applesauce as a healthy treat to encourage good behaviour and not as a meal. Feed a small amount around 5 per cent of your dog’s daily diet and observe whether he has sign of tummy trouble or not. Feed it to your pup by placing a spoonful on a dish for him to lap up or on let him lick it off the tip of your finger.
Make sure to feed unsweetened organic applesauce or homemade apple sauce to our furbabies as most of the brands are filled with high amount sugar, colouring agents and preservatives which causes health problems.
Can Dogs Eat Apple Cores?
Apple flesh is fine and healthy for dogs but avoid the apple core. Apple’s core is thick and tough which could potentially be a choking hazard or get caught up in the dog’s throat. Also, apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide which could be poisonous for our furbaby. So it’s better to remove seeds otherwise it may wreak havoc on their digestive system.
By chance, your dog consumes apple core than don’t panic, keep an eye on him. If your dog is choking, he will probably panic.
You may see him paw at his mouth, which is when you’ll want to try to remove the core with your fingers gently. PetMD has steps for how to remove an obstruction and perform Heimlich on your pet here.
Also check:- 22 Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat
Today’s Quote –
“All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. For after all, he was only human. He wasn’t a dog.” – Charles M Schulz
Homemade Applesauce Recipe
Applesauce is very easy to prepare at home. It does not take a long time and you can refrigerate it for a week to 10 days.
- 3 pounds fresh apples (your choice)
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Peel off the apple skin
- Slice or Chop it down into small cubes
- Deseed them
- Bring them to a boil in a pan for about 10 to 15 minutes till the apples get tender
- Strain the apples
- Mash them well in a blender
- Cool it down in ice trays and serve this tasty treats to your furbabies
- You can store it in the refrigerator for a week’s time