Why dog training is important? Will dog training help separation anxiety? How dog training works? How to train Aggressive Dogs? Let’s find out the answers:
The most common problem dog owners face is their pet’s aggression. The best way to implement aggressive dog training is to learn a few things about dog aggression, behavior, and nature. Why they act cranky, aggressive, frustrated, or irritated.
- 1. Understanding Dog Aggression
- 2. How To train An Aggressive Dog – In Home Dog Training Camp
- 3. Book Appointment With Your Veterinarian
- 4. Call In A Professional – Private Dog Training
- 5. Take A IN HOME DOG TRAINING COURSE Or Go To a Dog School
- 6. Who Needs This Secret to use your dog’s natural intelligence to stop bad behavior?
- Today’s Quote –
1. Understanding Dog Aggression
The most common reason for dogs’ aggressive behavior is a lack of proper training and socialization. Aggression is common in all dog breeds, but large breeds such as Pitbulls, Mastiffs, Gaddi Kutta, etc. can cause destruction at a large scale as compared to small breeds such as a pug. Aggression can be linked with fear, possessiveness, or dominance, which can be started as a warning and may lead to an attack. So, let’s start with the body language that dogs generally show before getting aggressive or taking any dangerous actions.
- Standing rigid and/or still
- Showing teeth
- A threatening or guttural bark
- light biting without applying pressure
- Snapping or nipping at a person without leaving a mark
- Biting that causes bruising or puncture wounds
- Repeated bites in rapid succession.
The most common problem with the dog parents is that they choose a dog breed based on popularity and not based on their lifestyle. They don’t know how to train their dog or have control over them and this became disastrous.
While Training your aggressive dog, first you have to understand why your dog is getting aggressive. Look around yourself, observe his symptoms, his movements, what is the thing that is triggering him, what Is the thing that is bothering him. There can be many reasons that your dog is acting aggressively.
According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, these can be the following reasons behind your dog aggression.
- Territorial aggression – The most common type of aggression that has been seen in many of the dogs is Territorial aggression. Dogs generally defend or protect their favorite place where they live or sleep from an intruder.
- Protective aggression – Dogs can be protective for many of the things like his master, favorite human, or other pets. They also show protective aggression for their puppies which is very obvious as they don’t want any stranger to come near their pups.
- Possessive aggression – Dogs show possessive aggression when they are insecure about something like their favorite toys, chew toys, food, bones, etc. It is also known as resource guarding.
- Pain-elicited aggression – Dogs show pain-elicited aggression when they are injured or in pain.
- Predatory aggression – Dog shows little to no warning signs when exhibiting predatory behavior, such as chasing any prey or any wildlife. This can be very dangerous if he is showing any predatory aggression and your children are playing around him. This can start as an innocent game, but predatory aggression may quickly turn into a disaster.
- Sex-related aggression – Two male dogs, as well as female dogs, can show the sex-related aggression when vying for a mate.
- Aggression can be a result of Unsocialization.
As an owner, it’s your responsibility to understand your pet’s actions and do the needful. Sometimes you need a professional dog trainer or a proper training book or a course to deal with your dog.
2. How To train An Aggressive Dog – In Home Dog Training Camp
So now the question arises that how can we stop our dog’s aggression. First of all, you should start observing him and start making notes on what are the times, places, things, and the surroundings in which your dog gets aggressive.
Practice Reward-based training as it is the best mode of at-home dog training. Give him a small reward whenever he follows your order correctly. This will create confidence and establishes a good relationship with your dog. The reward can be his favorite toy, food, or lavish praise. Dog treats work best as rewards, and it will create a positive mindset in dogs as if I did this correctly, the master will give me a treat.
Another method is to train your dog to react to a safety word used as an emergency recall; it can be any word like STOMP, etc. But keep in mind that this word should be unique and not used on a regular basis. Whenever you call this word, your dog has to react to it. Practice it from time to time and don’t forget to give him a generous treat, which he likes the most whenever he reacts properly.
It’s a natural tendency for dogs to follow the Alpha, and if there is no Alpha, they start to behave as Alpha. Make sure to let them know you are the Alpha of the house. Whenever your dog behaves aggressively, you should crate him at the meal and sleep times. Your dog should be the last one to feed. As the dog starts to understand the boundaries and chain of commands then only he can start to eat at the same time as you or can sleep along with you.
Playtime is the most crucial time to train your dog and to have control over him. You have to make him realize that there is someone to control him. You have to make sure that he knows that you are in charge of him and he has to follow your orders. When you are not playing with him put the toys to a place where he can’t reach or hide the toys. Then give him a toy with your hands when you are playing with him and after the playtime, takes that back. They will realize that someone is here to control him. This makes you the Alpha, and the pack follows you.
Don’t punish your dog for their aggressive behavior. If you will punish them, then it usually backfires and escalates the aggression. For example, if you will punish your dog for growling at your children, then from the next time onwards, he will not give you any warning and simply just attack. He is growling because he was not comfortable around them; he does not like the environment. The most important thing is that dog doesn’t understand any punishment. He will not understand the motive behind punishment and will rather become more stubborn and difficult to handle. So punishing while training an aggressive dog is not a good idea.
Instead of punishing, use other methods like using safety words or show them who is the Alpha here. Dogs are pack animals and need a leader. If you don’t establish yourself as Alpha, they will not follow you in fact; they try to become Alpha themselves. Alpha gets the best of everything, is concerned for the pack, and decides what’s best for the pack. You need to earn your dog’s loyalty, trust, respect, and needs to set rules, regulations, and boundaries.
This is one of the most important steps to be taken when your dog suddenly starts behaving aggressively. There can be a medical problem; maybe he is suffering from a lot of pain. Health problems that may cause aggression are hypothyroidism, painful injuries, and neurological problems such as encephalitis, epilepsy, and brain tumors.
If your dog is not dealing with any of the medical issues, then it’s time to take action. Never ignore your dog’s aggression as it may harm you or your dog in the future. Call a professional dog trainer who can handle him. In private dog training, the professional dog trainer makes a chart or proper schedule to calm your dog or to stop his aggression.
If you want to find or contact a professional, then you can take reference from your vet or can contact the Association of Professional Dog Trainers
5. Take A IN HOME DOG TRAINING COURSE Or Go To a Dog School
If you are not willing to give your dog to an unknown person’s hand, then you can train your dog yourself. But as I said, you couldn’t understand your dog’s pain, crankiness, irritation without the proper and suitable knowledge. You can buy a Top Dog Training course as there are many good online dog training courses are available in the market or attend a dog school near you. The recommended course is BRAIN TRAINING FOR DOGS.
It’s amazing and budget-friendly. This canine training course is the ultimate guide for aggressive dog training, service dog training, protection dog training, potty training, etc. Go ahead and buy this course take proper knowledge, and train your dog by yourself.
6. Who Needs This Secret to use your dog’s natural intelligence to stop bad behavior?
- Your dog doesn’t listen to you
- You need to train a new Puppy
- Your dog barks uncontrollably
- Your Dog is pulling on the leash
- Your Dog is aggressive
- Your Dog is chewing things he shouldn’t
- Your Dog is digging all the time
- Your Dog is Jumping up
- You’re frustrated with your dog
- You may even regret getting your Dog
- You’re worried you might have to give up your Dog because of behavior problems you can’t handle
- You feel helpless to control your dog
- You tell your Dog ‘no’ with no success
- Your Dog gets over excited and is hard to settle down
- Your Dog is whining constantly
- Your dog has a fear of certain sounds or stimuli or suffers from anxiety
- You want a dog who obeys you
- You want a better bond with your dog
- You want less stress
Today’s Quote –
“Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.” – John Grogan